Friday, March 22, 2013

Welcome to Your Vagina

It's been a while since I originally proposed this idea on reddit, but at last, here is the Vagina Owner's Manual. "Well that's nice," I hear you ask, dear reader, "but what exactly is the VOM?"  Think of it as a comprehensive resource for all things relating to the female experience.  If you have a vagina, want a vagina, or just appreciate vaginas, this blog should have something for you. Basically: it's a sex-positive, female-positive, body-positive resource for reliable information on female anatomy, sexuality, and experience geared towards education and awareness. Upcoming posts will cover:


  • Female anatomy
  • Myths and misinformation regarding sex and the female body
  • STD and pregnancy prevention
  • Care and maintenance of your lady parts (dos and don'ts, good gyno info, etc)
  • All the glories of the menstrual cycle (and how to make them suck less)
  • Becoming more comfortable with your body (including masturbation, because it's awesome)
  • Trouble-shooting (common issues and why it's probably not cancer!)
  • CONSENT
  • Rape culture and slut shaming
And that's just what I've got scribbled in my sketchbook right now (minus a lot of the subcategories and less-than-helpful arrows I  threw in there in an attempt at organization). 

Seriously, look at this thing.

Please feel free to leave questions, comments, concerns, additional topics, and warm fuzzies in the comments for any post; I will do my best to read all of them, even if I don't post a reply, and I'd love to hear what else you would like to get out of the VOM.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a good format for what is sure to be a pretty massive undertaking, and ultimately decided that a blog was the best form of delivery - flexible, easy to cross-reference, and more accessible and discreet than a printed copy.  Plus, I'll be able to break it down into smaller, easy-to-manage posts which will be put up at regular intervals, making the endeavor seem a lot less daunting.

Planned posts will happen every Friday, with many of those bullet points above spanning several weeks' worth of posts.  I may occasionally post non-Friday updates about things that catch my attention - responses to questions and comments, useful videos and articles, rants, all that good stuff.

(There will also sometimes be .gifs, many of them Doctor Who-related, and most of those will be David Tennant rather than Matt Smith. I make no apologies for this.)

I'm not gonna lie, I have kind of a filthy mouth.  So there will be swearing and adult language on this blog sometimes.  But there are also going to be detailed images of female anatomy and frank discussion about sex, rape, consent, abortion, STDs, and other mature content.  If you feel that you're grown up enough to look at comparative images of different labia, you're grown up enough to handle the occasional f-bomb.

I hope you're all as excited for this as I am! Next week we'll be starting our anatomy section by looking at BOOBS, because they're wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment